Tuesday 5 November 2013

How Youngsters Might Express Suicidal Thoughts

receive our updates directly to your phone now SMS follow techrul to to starts Now!!!(MTN USERS ONLY and SMS is Free)
One of the problems in assessing suicidal risk in a young person is that they often don't say much at all. As every counselor knows, even under more favorable circumstances, getting youngsters to really talk to you can be a challenge in itself. Just having a discussion with a youngster can end up with the adult doing most of the talking.

Behavior can speak volumes, and we should pay attention to it. To get to a youngster's thoughts, however, we need to communicate with them.
In my preparation for a radio show on this topic, I remembered something I picked up some time ago. It's a simple three-component diagnostic tool for helping to assess suicidal risk in a young person, although it would work very well with adults, also. It relates to a youngster's perception, their take, on the circumstances they are facing in terms of three "I"s: Inescapable, Interminable and Intolerable. This tool can provide a therapist or a counselor with much-needed information.
Although it's rare a youngster will speak in these terms directly, listen closely, because what they do say might come from one or even all three of these "I"s. Let's look at a few examples how the child or adolescent might express them:
INESCAPABLE: "I feel trapped;" "I can't get away from it;" "I'm stuck; I can't move."
INTERMINABLE: "It's NEVER going to end;" "It will always be like this;" "It will NEVER stop."
INTOLERABLE: "I just can't take it anymore;" "It's more than I can stand;" "It's too much for me to handle."
Listening for references to Inescapable, Interminable and Intolerable just might help one capture and reframe a youngster's perspective, as they move to replace hopelessness with elements of authentic hope.
In the end, it might even save a life. ###
receive our updates directly to your phone now SMS follow techrul to 40404 to starts Now!!!(SMS is Free)

SHARE THIS

Author:

0 comments: